This is the first animation I've ever submitted to the 11 Second club... I personally feel like it could have turned out a bit better but I think I've learned quite a bit while working on it. I believe I need to stay in the "stepped" phase of the animation for far longer. I ended up lost within all the curves in the curve editor far before I was ready to transfer it over to stepped animation. This is definitely going into my portfolio as I've worked pretty hard on it for this month, however, I feel like this will probably be the weakest thing going into my portfolio... We will find out the in the next few months :)
Hey all, it's been far too long since I've last posted here. I recently was laid off from work so now I'll be focusing purely on my portfolio for the next couple of weeks in order to find work elsewhere. Here's the first thing I've completed during my new free time.
I'm a huge fan of Dota 2, though I don't get to play it much more now days because of focusing on my portfolio. It's a pretty time consuming game and whatnot but I felt like I wanted to honor it a bit with some fan art. I think it turned out incredibly well as I learned a lot in regards to picking colors for a painting. Most specifically I read the book Color and Light by James Gurney. It listed an issue called, "The Green Problem" stating that paintings primarily with the color green tend to end up a bit boring to an extent (I'm majorly paraphrasing, it goes far more into detail than I can). So while working on this I ended up plopping in a bunch more colors than simply "green" and it turned out fantastic. A good comparison would be to look at this image compared to one of my previous forest paintings to see how exactly adding more color to a painting that's primarily green brings it a bit more to life.
I created a quick and fun low poly gun. This gun uses a 512 x 512 diffuse map with 2011 tris in total. Was a pretty fun project and I was able to complete it in under four days. This was especially a pretty big personal achievement for myself because I completed this completely within Maya instead of 3DS Max. I learned quite a lot completing this gun, I'm a bit curious about organic modeling within Maya now and how I would do with something like that. It might be my next personal project to work on, maybe not. Anyways, here's some renders and the texture map for you guys to see.
So I managed to get into contact with a talented author and have been working on some book covers for a Sci Fi series called "Subject: Nightingale". You can find the first book for the series over here: http://www.amazon.com/Subject-Nightingale-Volume-Birth-Death/dp/1492184772
The second book cover is actually almost completed. I learned quite a few things with this first one such as how the lines on the binding don't really work that well once printed, and the text on the back turned out to be really really close to the binding, more than I had hoped. So the second book in the series won't have these issues, though it's kind of a shame there won't be as much consistency between them. The second book is already turning out to be much more complicated in terms of subject material, so I'm kind of excited to post it up here once it's released.
So I've been working on last months 11 Second Club animation a bit on and off. Mostly whenever I get burned out and tired of this months project. I've managed to scrounge up a still image of what my look and feel will be roughly like, though since project has ran well past the deadline, I'm considering changing the character on the left so the animation makes a bit more sense than it would have with two clones. I'm planning on just using the exact same rig and everything, just probably going to change up the textures and add some new pieces/parts to the characters head/face.
Here's a quick preview on the animation I've been working on. I've actually tweaked the animation a tiny bit more than what's shown here at the moment and am quite happy with it. So I've been working on the render setup and making it look particularly pretty.
But yeah, just figured I should update my blog with what's going on. I'm excited to get the fin
Just a small update with the bad guys of the Arc of the Solaris story. I like all of these designs to an extent... though B2 and B3 seem somewhat weaker and may need some more work.
I realize my updates are starting to slow down. I haven't been feeling that great as of recently. I'm thinking allergies are getting to me full swing and they're definitely impacting my ability to get stuff done. I think I'm going to be going to the store tomorrow to see if I can find some sort of meds that don't end up making me sleep all day heh.
Anyways, now onto the stuff I do have. I finally finished a concept sheet for the human characters in for the Arc of Solaris story. There's some good and some not so good in there. The early ones in particular aren't that special, but I like some of the later ones I came up with. Anyways, the "Defenders" and the "Aggressors" will be coming next.
I'll probably be moving forward with A3, A4, B1, and B2 and scrapping the rest for this project. I'm liking where those are headed for sure.
Hey all, just updating a bit with where I'm at for my concept art class. I'm definitely thinking I'm going to be using numbers 3 through 7 for my final designs. For the time being though, I'm going to be continuing with designing characters till I get a full page (8 characters per page) for each of the races (human, friendly aliens, and bad aliens). I mainly want to nail down what the female versions of each of the races would look like and more civilian look for each of them as well.
Once I am finally finished with all of the designs I'll be fancying the page up into a more aesthetically pleasing design; but yeah, here's what I've got so far.~
I'm an Animator and Illustrator from Redmond WA with roughly four years of experience within the game industry.